WELCOME!


Welcome to my blog. Thanks for dropping by. Hope you'll stay and enjoy reading about where I've been and what I've been doing!

I don't mean this to be a replacement for personal emails, but it gives me the chance to put up photos and my scrapbook layouts, so I don't block up your in-boxes, or have to send the same photos and stories to everyone separately!
Thanks, and welcome, to the followers of my blog. I'm very honoured that you enjoy it. Drop me some comments from time to time! It's good to hear what you think about the posts. Come back again soon.

Thanks also to Mary of Mary's Mixes for doing all the work on the blog's heading. You are great, Mary!



Friday 18 July 2014

Potfest

I bought a barn owl!  Yes, really!  I bought a barn owl!

my barn owlOK, it isn’t a real live one.  It is a beautifully simple pottery owl, sitting on a post, looking as if he is dosing, but you know he has his hearing tuned in to any wee movement that could be a mouse, and is ready  to fly and pounce!

I had come to Scone Palace with a group of U3A Arts group members as there was a spare place on the minibus and I had been invited to go along. scone palace I really didn’t have much of a clue about what we would see, but it would be nice to see the Palace, where past Kings of Scots were crowned on the Stone of Destiny, in the days before the union of the two countries of Scotland and England (Yes, we had our own monarch before 1603 when Elizabeth I of England died having named her heir as James VI of Scotland).  In earlier days than that even, in 1296, the stone of Scone was captured and removed from Scotland by King Edward I of England, to London where it was incorporated in the throne of the English (and later British) monarchs.  It was finally returned to the Scots in 1996, and now resides in Edinburgh Castle, while only a replica can be seen at Scone.

marqueesAnyway I didn’t get to see inside the Palace or the replica  of the Stone, as the event we had come to – Potfest – was being held in marquees in front of the building.  There were maybe 50 or more stalls, exhibiting and selling their pottery – so many ideas, styles, shapes, textures, sizes…..  trad pots Some was very traditional: plates, cups, saucers, mugs, vases,  but even then the styles varied from fine to chunky. vase3containers

 

 

 

There were a few different styles of planter too.planter

potplant

 

 

 

 

IMG_1574

Colourful!

 

 

dollsNovelty items included these figures, and a chess set.chess pieces

 

 

 

 

IMG_1476

IMG_1478

These heraldic pieces were interesting!

 

 

 

There was also a variety of stalls selling animal pottery, and again the styles differed incredibly. boxing hares

Aren’t the boxing hares wonderful? And what about this fox?  fox3There were a few foxes by different potters, but I liked this one a lot.

 fox

I liked this one too; quite a different style.  Then there was the orang-utan, very small and absolutely adorable.orangutang

 

 

 

pandas

Small pandas! and a life size badger! badger

 

 

 

What talent!  blackbirdThere were birds like the blackbird robinsand the robins,

 

 

 

wrenthis wren and plenty more,   

and owls…. masses of owls, barn owl2owlswhich I liked a lot

 

 

 

barn owl

but I was blown away by these owls…..

more owlsmy barn owl

 

…..and so after a long debate with myself, I bought a barn owl!

Talk again soon.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

He is a lovely barn owl, it looks like there were lots of interesting pieces of pottery there. I had no idea that it was going on. The palace is worth a look inside if you ever get a chance, there were also white peacocks in the grounds when we went there, I had never seen those before.

Evelyn/Ev/Evee said...

I only knew about it from the friends who asked me along - to fill up the minibus! It was amazing, the different styles and techniques people employed. These owls were by far my favourites, though I liked a lot of other works.
And yes, there was one white peacock striding around the garden among the tables and chairs overspill from the café/tearoom. I will go back there one of these days to see inside the palace.