WELCOME!


Welcome to my blog. Thanks for dropping by. Hope you'll stay and enjoy reading about where I've been and what I've been doing!

I don't mean this to be a replacement for personal emails, but it gives me the chance to put up photos and my scrapbook layouts, so I don't block up your in-boxes, or have to send the same photos and stories to everyone separately!
Thanks, and welcome, to the followers of my blog. I'm very honoured that you enjoy it. Drop me some comments from time to time! It's good to hear what you think about the posts. Come back again soon.

Thanks also to Mary of Mary's Mixes for doing all the work on the blog's heading. You are great, Mary!



Saturday 28 September 2013

More from the Doune lacemakers

So, where did I get to last time?  Ah yes, I was introducing you to the girls and showing off their lace!  Janet, Sheila and Joan are working on some of the Continental laces, Flanders Lace,and Binche ( try saying Bahn-sh.  It’s about the nearest to the French pronunciation).  janet's 2They all look too complicated for me, but the patterns are very ornate and beautiful.  janet's working diagramGenerally workers of these kind of laces tend to keep a watchful eye on an enlarged working diagram showing the directions  threads are moving.  These laces are not so straightforward as others!  The glass headed pins show where the lacemaker has reached in her work. 

Here are closer up photos of Joan’s and Janet’s lacejoan's binche.  In the photo janet's flandersabove right you can see the pattern on the blue backgroundand the start of Janet’s piece, an edging for a hankie – not for everyday use this one!  The fine threads are wound onto special bobbins and worked by weaving the threads.  The pattern already has the pinholes that support the lace pricked through the background.  As you weave threads, pins support those threads so you can see the work nearer the bobbins has a collection of pins holding the pattern in place.  As you work down you can begin to remove the top pins, but to take out any more than Janet is doing here might result in an unholy tangle, as the threads are pulled out of place. joan and sheila Janet

 

L – R.  Joan, Sheila and Janet

Moragmargaret

marge

 

 

 

 

Morag, above right, isn’t a lacemaker.  Her talents lie in patchwork and quilting, mainly.  Another non-lacemaker is Marge, on the right.  She’s good at watercolours, while Margaret, makes the same kind of lace that I like to make, Buckinghamshire Point Lace.  I seem to have slipped up as I don’t seem to have a picture of the lovely edging she is working on. lisbet paints Joan

And this is Lisbet who met us all one week a good few years ago when she came to Doune on a painting holiday. She obviously liked us, as she often comes back during Lace Week to join us.  We like her too! lisbet paints Joan2 She’s a super artist, doing pen and ink drawings of us, the scenery, the food, and anything else that ‘she feels worthy of a picture, but then she doesn’t finish there always.  We all have little pictures she has coloured, using her miniature water colour kit.  In this photo she is filling in some colour to a drawing of Joan. 

my lace earringsI didn’t show you what I did.  My prototype for lace earrings – I think they need starched and a bead on each of the tassels!   Well, they need something anyway!

tatted earrings1I also tried out some needle tatting and made a few bum efforts….. then created these – not very happy with them really!  Still, as first attempts go…..

 petal earringThen I started this earring, and I like it a lot! A British 5 pence piece is about half an inch across so it’s not too big an earring!.

Making these tiny little petals is far easier than making larger ones  in the likes of the Bedfordshire lace example below. beds

This piece of lace was designed by Christine Springett and worked by Lisa McClure.  My sister has also worked this piece.

Well, I think I am going to leave you here for today.  Next time you can see some scenery around Doune.  It’s a lovely place, even in bad weather!  No it wasn’t bad all the time! 

Talk again soon.  Night night!

1 comment:

Katrina said...

All the work is really beautiful. I wonder what they do with the lace when it is finished, attach it to something or frame it? Love the earrings too.