WELCOME!


Welcome to my blog. Thanks for dropping by. Hope you'll stay and enjoy reading about where I've been and what I've been doing!

I don't mean this to be a replacement for personal emails, but it gives me the chance to put up photos and my scrapbook layouts, so I don't block up your in-boxes, or have to send the same photos and stories to everyone separately!
Thanks, and welcome, to the followers of my blog. I'm very honoured that you enjoy it. Drop me some comments from time to time! It's good to hear what you think about the posts. Come back again soon.

Thanks also to Mary of Mary's Mixes for doing all the work on the blog's heading. You are great, Mary!



Sunday 21 July 2013

Still in Cornwall


Zennor is a pretty village on the north coast of west Cornwall.  The church tower was the first thing that came into sight as I drove down the narrow road off the "main" road between St Ives and St Just. 

There's the pub, the Tinners Arms - no prizes for guessing that it was named for the tin miners - an old chapel turned café and backpackers' hostel, a museum of the history of the area.....


The wheel at the entrance to the cottages that comprised the museum was part of a pump from one of the mines, that kept the underground tin face clear of water.



Looking back from the hill beyond the museum, the old Methodist church cum hostel is the large building on the left of the photo below.

My next stop was at Geevor where there were quite a number of old mine workings.  The earth roundabout the workings was rusty tin red, but the wildflowers were blooming in profusion.  I do wish I had my own photos to give you an idea of what it was like!   The pink seathrift was like a carpet.

Geevor has been reopened as a visitor attraction.  The kind of winding gear in the picture below is reminiscent of the coal mines I remember in my youth in Midlothian.



I didn't go down the mine.  I'm not too happy underground!

Not stopping at Lands End, I continued round the coast to Minack where the most amazing theatre has been cut out of the rock. You can read about its history here.  Basically it was the dream of Rowena Cade in the 1920s, and a lot of the work that was done to complete her dream was done with her own hands.  It is amazing.  Rows of seats have been cut from the rocky outcrop, and a stage built with the sea as its background. It has been improved and added to over the years and is a wonderful outdoor venue for plays and music events.  I've borrowed these two photos to give you an idea of what it's like. 



  I just had to add in the lego version from the Glasgow theatre blog!  Here's another blog that has lots of photos.
 
I'm having problems with Blogger now so will stop here for today.  Goodness knows what the page will look like once it's "published"!

Talk again soon.




2 comments:

Danylle McLain said...

What a lovely place! Thank you for sharing your travel photos.

Evelyn/Ev/Evee said...

Thanks Danylle. Good to hear from you. I have to say these unfortunately are not my photos, because somehow I've lost all of mine from the laptop. I may take the lapotop to a local computer shop and see if he can retrieve them. I had some lovely pics in the lost file! Hope to hear from you again. Take care.