WELCOME!


Welcome to my blog. Thanks for dropping by. Hope you'll stay and enjoy reading about where I've been and what I've been doing!

I don't mean this to be a replacement for personal emails, but it gives me the chance to put up photos and my scrapbook layouts, so I don't block up your in-boxes, or have to send the same photos and stories to everyone separately!
Thanks, and welcome, to the followers of my blog. I'm very honoured that you enjoy it. Drop me some comments from time to time! It's good to hear what you think about the posts. Come back again soon.

Thanks also to Mary of Mary's Mixes for doing all the work on the blog's heading. You are great, Mary!



Tuesday 31 July 2012

Sight seeing with Jane

Some time ago I had an email from Jane in New Zealand who had traced her family history back to Katherine Inglis, who married  a John Black, way back in 1792!  This makes us distant relations as I am descended from a brother of Katherine’s father!  Complicated stuff!  Anyway I was able to tell Jane a bit more about Katherine’s ancestry, which interested her enough to want to visit Cupar in Fife where our Inglis family lived at that time.

Coming to Scotland was just part of a bigger trip Jane planned, and we arranged to meet at the Scotland’s People Centre, in Edinburgh one day, and next day to go over to Fife.  It meant that I left Colin up on Deeside with Janet, Mark and Ian, and drove down to Edinburgh to be able to meet Jane next day. 

Of course neither of us had a clue what the other looked like, but with the help of the supervisors at SPC, we finally got together.  I was allocated the desk next to Jane so was able to help her decipher names and occupations on the records she was looking up.

Next day I drove up to Cupar to meet Jane again in the afternoon.  I had told her the story of the Inglis family emerging out of the mists of time at Carslogie March, and owning land nearby, so we drove out of town a little to where, I discovered last time I was there, Carslogie March must have been.  carslogie march Today there are two 18th century cottages, one called the March Toll, but I am certain this was approximately where our ancestors of the 16th century family had lived.  We talked with the owner of the second cottage, who said there had been two older cottages in the area but they had been demolished years ago.  I’m not even sure they would have dated back far enough to have been the family’s home.  The Carslogie estate was vast, and encompassed several farms.  carslogie lands I expect all the land in this photo would have been the property of the family at Carslogie House at some time.bondfield, now gilliesfaulds house

Right across the road was the house I now know to have been Bondfield, the house that was built by Jane’s Katherine’s father, James Inglis, in 1815-17, on land that had belonged to the family for several generations.  Bondfield and Jane wth umbrella

Jane with her umbrella at the front door of Bondfield, which has since been renamed. 

I had forgotten it was raining when we were there!

By this stage Katherine would have been married to her John Black and living at the farm of Bankhead of Inchdairnie with their 11 children.  Note for Jane: John Black owned a silver or metal watch, which possibly set him amongst the “well-to-do”.  He was taxed on it in 1797’s clock and watch tax, the amount of one shilling and tenpence ha’penny – which sounds like a lot for those days.  Today it would equate to less than 9 pence , but of course the relative value would be much much more!

James’ two unmarried daughters, Katherine’s sisters, went to live with their father at Bondfield, and the house stayed in the family till Euphemia’s death in 1871.

 carslogie old house So, from the old Bondfield  we jumped back in the car and drove on up the road to see the 16th century tower house of Carslogie (ruined now) that most probably our ancesters saw being built.  Maybe they even had a hand in the building of it!  Who knows!jane at carslogie with wellies   Here’s Jane getting into some welly boots to walk through the field to the house.carslogie house and jane

This is the front of the house with Jane on her way across.  It seems to have fallen into further disrepair since I last saw it, and of course all the trees growing inside will be undermining the building even more with their ever growing roots.

Have a look at the drawing made in the 1800s of how the house looked then, taken from the front, and photos of the interior, as well as a floor plan.  The next photos were taken looking through what was most likely a doorway connecting the main tower with the extension of the drawing, and over the main door.carslogie old house spiral stair

  This has to be the central pivot stone of the spiral staircase, you can see  in the plan on the RCAHMS website, (right) carslogie old house inner doorway

while the next one was taken over the top of the front door, the arch leading to the cellars underground.  It’s such a shame the place is filled with all that fallen rubble and the trees, as the place has quite a history to it.  carslogie old house back and sw side carslogie house wall 16century

 

One of these days the crack in the side wall will just break the building apart and the back will fall down.

russell mill, springfield There was one more place we had to visit and that was Russell Mill where our Inglis ancestors lived and worked after being at Carslogie March.  They were most probably flour millers, though the mill went through at least two incarnations afterwards.  It became a linen mill, and more recently a precast concrete factory.  It’s empty now!

What we should have done was to drive to where Katherine was born in 1766.  The old farmhouse seems to have disappeared though I have suspicions that a nearby farm might actually have been the Inglis home.   I apologise to Jane for not thinking of visiting this area.  The farm cottages that now own the name are actually much more modern….. and as for the farm where Katherine spent her married life, I think I have found it just to the east of Kinglassie.   I must go and take photos next time I am over in that direction.  I thought it might have been swallowed up by Kinglassie or Glenrothes by now.  Not far off it though!  It would have been a bit of a drive from Cupar though.

Next time Jane?

Talk again soon.

4 comments:

Jane Scott said...

Next time? - absolutely Evelyn. What a fascinating day that was for me. To be walking on land that my ancestors probably walked on back in the 1700's or 1800's or even the 1600's or 1500's was just incredible for me! Thank you again - Cupar will never again just be a name on a map! I hope future generations will also follow in our footsteps!

Evelyn/Ev/Evee said...

I'm glad you enjoyed seeing the ancestral homes!!! It was a good day. I enjoyed it too.

Katrina said...

It looks like you both had a great time. Kinglassie isn't far from me! I'm quite surprised that there is so much of that building still standing, as you know how much people like plundering old houses for building materials.
BTW - does anti-midge stuff actually work?

Evelyn/Ev/Evee said...

We had a lovely visit indeed, Katrina, despite climbing over gates and ploutering through the mud and cowpats to see the old house. It's such a shame it's being allowed to fall down. However there are enough cottages around to deter pilfering, I think.