WELCOME!


Welcome to my blog. Thanks for dropping by. Hope you'll stay and enjoy reading about where I've been and what I've been doing!

I don't mean this to be a replacement for personal emails, but it gives me the chance to put up photos and my scrapbook layouts, so I don't block up your in-boxes, or have to send the same photos and stories to everyone separately!
Thanks, and welcome, to the followers of my blog. I'm very honoured that you enjoy it. Drop me some comments from time to time! It's good to hear what you think about the posts. Come back again soon.

Thanks also to Mary of Mary's Mixes for doing all the work on the blog's heading. You are great, Mary!



Sunday 10 June 2012

Gardens

I think it’s going to be Gardens, Gardens and more Gardens for the next few entries, or maybe I’ll be able to squeeze them into only a couple!  We’ll see!  I seem to have visited a few gardens and a couple of garden centres recently. We visited the first two gardens in East Lothian, on a wet wet day, but it was still enjoyable to wander round.

stobshiel house and pond The gardens of Stobshiel House were the first we explored. stobshiel sculpture deer 

 

 

 

 

There was an  exhibition of sculptures by Kate Denton in the grounds and in a marquee in the garden. stobshiel sculpture stobshiel sculpture3

stobshiel sculpture4

 

 

 

 

They were rather lovely!

The gardens were lovely too, a mixture of formal and semi-wild. stobshiel rock garden I can’t remember the whole story but a 9-year old in times past was allowed to create her very own piece of garden, and as a result the rock garden was born! stobshiel front door   

Before we took a walk through the gate to the side garden I took a photo of this beautiful excordia – Pearlbush - and the pink tulips at the front door of the house.stobshiel garden gate with clematis

Then through the gate I couldn’t resist the fabulous clematis.  stobshiel summer house and knot gardenWe were in the knot garden by then with paths wandering around, past the little summer house and past a couple more sculptures, this wonderful macawstobshiel parrot sculpture 

 stobshiel sculpture magpiesand these marvelllous  magpies fighting over the golden ball!  You’ll see them better if you click on them to enlarge the picture.  The flowers were lovely too.stobshiel flower2a

Sorry I don’t know all their names. stobshiel flower

 

 

stobshiel hellebores

These are hellebores - below.

stobshiel excordia

stobshiel flower1a

stobshiel flower3

 

 

 

That’s the excordia again on the left, – another one.

Well, I was going to try and fit the other garden visit in, but it’s late and I need to get some sleep, so more from East Lothian next time.

Talk again soon.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

It was a wet day! I've noted this one down as a place to visit. I love knot gardens and that wee garden house is so cute. I don't know what those flowers are either, must dig out my books.

Evelyn/Ev/Evee said...

I'm afraid this one isn't often open to the public, Katrina. It was open under the Gardens Scotland scheme,but our visit was with the U3A gardening group.
The little garden house was cute. I could have lived in it happily!