WELCOME!


Welcome to my blog. Thanks for dropping by. Hope you'll stay and enjoy reading about where I've been and what I've been doing!

I don't mean this to be a replacement for personal emails, but it gives me the chance to put up photos and my scrapbook layouts, so I don't block up your in-boxes, or have to send the same photos and stories to everyone separately!
Thanks, and welcome, to the followers of my blog. I'm very honoured that you enjoy it. Drop me some comments from time to time! It's good to hear what you think about the posts. Come back again soon.

Thanks also to Mary of Mary's Mixes for doing all the work on the blog's heading. You are great, Mary!



Saturday 10 March 2012

Kailzie snowdrops

kailzie carpet of snowdropsThe second garden I visited last week was Kailzie – pronounced Kayli – and this time I was on my own.  There’s an honesty box at the entrance to the garden at this time of year, and £2.50 a small price to pay for an afternoon’s enjoyable browse along the footpaths.  kailzie burn and bridge

Once again there were snowdrops in all directions, along by the burn (stream), kailzie carpet 2 

in the woodland,

 

kailzie snowdrops everywhere

 

in amongst the tree roots,

kailzie sculptures

and alongside the winding paths,

kailzie snowdrops

 

 flowering in small clumps…

kailzie aconites 

…and with the aconites…

 

kailzie snowdrops and bridgebut ahead of the daffodils that were yet to bloom.  I expect they’ll be nodding beautiful yellow heads by now though.

I love wandering round Kailzie Gardens, and this time found a path through an old wrought-iron gate that I’d actually not spotted before.  kailzie woodland path It wound alongside an upper stretch of the burn, through trees kailzie avenue and came eventually to a rather strange  avenue of trees, that didn’t seem to go anywhere in particular.  It was just “there”!kailzie fountain and walled garden   

Carrying on along the path, the walled garden came into view, and in front of the gate is the pond – full of leaves instead of water at the moment – and the fountain.  Out of season I think the walled garden is locked to allow work to be done.  There was certainly some activity amongst the flower beds and the sight of a wheelbarrow or two on the grass path, leading away from the gates.

kailzie burnside path

I doubled back to the burn and followed it downstream again, passing the new shoots of what I think is the giant gunnera, kailzie gunnera shoots

then looked at the Laird’s Walkkailzie laird's walk  

 

 

kailzie feb. rhoddies

with a rhododendron almost in full bloom – in March?

Behind me is the summerhouse kailzie 020where I suppose the Laird enjoyed a seat in the heyday of Kailzie – before the house went to wreck and ruin and had to be demolished.

 

This is where the house used to stand, on that large green space beyond the bridge.kailzie house plot

You can get an idea of the view from the back of the house when you look at the picture above of the Laird’s Walk. -  the hills of the north side of Tweeddale – kailzie and lee pen or this one looking over to Lee Pen

While I was taking photos I noticed someone crossing the front of the “old house” and walking towards the Petanque piste.  It looked like the someone was carrying a pouch of boules.  Tommy often practises at weekends, but this was Tuesday.  Curious I strolled across to have a look.  kailzie tommy petanque Sure enough!  There was Tommy by now getting organised on the piste to practise “shooting”.  You can see the ball has just left his hand, bound for the group of boules without hitting the ground in front of them.  This kind of play is useful when you want to knock your opponents’ boules away from the piglet - the jack, we’d say, but it’s a French game so the small ball to aim at is called le cochonet – the piglet!

We had a chat, and if my shoulder had been better I might have played a game, but no point in aggravating the problem any more, so I left Tommy to his practice and went to see if Jimmy’s tea-bar was open, as the tearoom that serves the beautiful beetroot and chocolate cake wasn’t!  kailzie fisking loch and gatehouses Jimmy is there for the fishers who come to practise at the fishing loch.  Being a reasonable afternoon – not too bright, but calm – there were a few folk about.   You can see the gatehouses of the Kailzie estate behind the pond in the centre of the photo.  

My cup of tea at the tea-bar was most welcome before I finally headed back to the car for the drive back to Peebles.   It had been a very pleasant afternoon, which I hope to repeat soon when the daffodils will be properly out – maybe this week!

Talk again soon.

4 comments:

Katrina said...

Lovely photos and gardens Evee. It reminds me of Cambo estate which is over towards St Andrews. I bought some snowdrops via their honesty box a few years ago and the only ones which have come up this year were the ones which were closest to our house, I live in hope of the others just being late! I hope to visit Kailzie sometime.

Evelyn/Ev/Evee said...

It's such a hit or a miss thing with snowdrops, I find, Katrina. They say to plant them in the green rathr than in bulb form, but I don't know if that's any better! I've done both and can't say either has done very well! My own snowdropscome up in singles, even if I plant a few buls together! Oh well!
I must visit Cambo one of these days!

Peggy Ann said...

Thanks for the walk in the park! So lovely. You must take a pic of the row of trees when they are in full leaf too!
I have decided that I am moving to Scotland when hubby retires! He thinks we're going to North Carolina!

Evelyn/Ev/Evee said...

Hi Peggy Ann. I certainly will take photos of the trees in full leaf.

It would be great if you could take a trip to Scotland at the very least when hubby retires!