WELCOME!


Welcome to my blog. Thanks for dropping by. Hope you'll stay and enjoy reading about where I've been and what I've been doing!

I don't mean this to be a replacement for personal emails, but it gives me the chance to put up photos and my scrapbook layouts, so I don't block up your in-boxes, or have to send the same photos and stories to everyone separately!
Thanks, and welcome, to the followers of my blog. I'm very honoured that you enjoy it. Drop me some comments from time to time! It's good to hear what you think about the posts. Come back again soon.

Thanks also to Mary of Mary's Mixes for doing all the work on the blog's heading. You are great, Mary!



Monday 5 September 2011

baitlaws

baitlaws house Baitlaws is a beautiful old house that has been sympathetically added to over the years, and in recent years it has had a modern and "unusual architectural feature” added - a conservatory built on at first floor level, raised on metal “stilts”.  You can see it on the right of this photo, but you’ll see it in other photos of the gardens, as I loved it and used it as a feature in several shots!

You might have already guessed then that I was there with the U3A gardening group.  I decided that I would take more photos of garden views as opposed to individual flowers, and I did manage to do that, but I still took a lot of pictures of flowers as we went on our guided tour with the lady of the house!baitlaws garden gate

The gardens had been open to the public one Sunday in July, this being the gate everyone came through from the car park.  I just love quirky little doors and windows so that was my first shot!baitlaws doors and windows 2

My next “door photo” wasn’t far behind, as we walked from the circular lawn through to the greenhouse and potting shed and found this.baitlaws greenhouse  it was from outside the shed that I took the next photo of the small pond with greenhouse behind it.  baitlaws potato birdFrom there we walked down the side of the vegetable garden, admiring the bird scarers as much as the plants.  They were potatoes with pheasants’ feathers stuck in them, and they dangled on strings from these long poles to make birds with a fresh veggie meal in mind think they were predators and keep away!  Very clever!baitlaws conservatory2

Soon we were at the side of the house looking up at the glass conservatory . It must be equally  lovely to sit in there on a cold sunny day and watch the scenery, perhaps covered in snow, as it must be to sit there in summer and see the garden at its best.  baitlaws view and owl Not being as high up I took this shot of the view from the garden.  I love the little stone owl! baitlaws purple corner

The little corner here below the conservatory must be a very pleasant place to sit quietly and read,

 

 

 baitlaws big stone

and contemplate the large standing stone carefully positioned at the end of a narrow garden corridor between high hedges on either side.baitlaws garden group

I took a photo of some of the group through the hole, and I suspect Jennie took one of me taking the one of them!  Jennie is wearing the red jacket.baitlaws garden arch

From the hedge-edged corridor we came through the arch down the stone steps to another lawn edged by flowerbeds.  The view from here was wonderful.baitlaws view 

baitlaws ornamental geese in the middle of the lawn were two verdigris geese, looking very affectionate here, but it was the only way to get them to stand upright on the grass!  When we found them they were lying tumbled flat on the ground. baitlaws conservatory3

Here’s another of those conserv-atory views taken from the lawn with the geese.

We had wound round the garden and were now going back towards the house.  baitlaws a touch of redOne of my lovely young Aussie cousins would have called this a castle when he was little.  A castle had turrets, he said!baitlaws front

 Soon we were back at the front of the house again, ready to thank our hostess for the lovely tour, and take our leave.  I haven’t shown you many flowers this time so one before I go…baitlaws everlasting sweet pea

 

…of the everlasting sweet peas on the front wall of the house.  I had never seen red ones before and they looked beautiful against the white painted harling.

Talk again soon.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Thanks for visiting 'Pining for the West'. I've had a lovely time looking at Evee's Blog, we seem to have quite a lot in common! You're living in a much prettier part of the country though and have lovely gardens to visit too. I'll be back!