WELCOME!


Welcome to my blog. Thanks for dropping by. Hope you'll stay and enjoy reading about where I've been and what I've been doing!

I don't mean this to be a replacement for personal emails, but it gives me the chance to put up photos and my scrapbook layouts, so I don't block up your in-boxes, or have to send the same photos and stories to everyone separately!
Thanks, and welcome, to the followers of my blog. I'm very honoured that you enjoy it. Drop me some comments from time to time! It's good to hear what you think about the posts. Come back again soon.

Thanks also to Mary of Mary's Mixes for doing all the work on the blog's heading. You are great, Mary!



Monday 20 June 2011

Pentlands

I took myself off on another lovely walk before choir practice one afternoon recently.  It was a glorious day and and I decided to visit Swanston village on the very edge of the Pentland Hills, before heading into Edinburgh for the evening.  The farm at Swanston goes back to the  early 13th century when it was worked by a guy called Sveinn – Sveinn’s farm town.   SwanstonOver the centuries the name evolved to Swanston.   The village of ten thatched cottages dates back to the 18th century while a group of stone cottages with slate roofs – New Swanston – was built in the early 20th century.     New SwanstonThe thatched houses beautifully restored about 20 years ago are very picturesque, and would probably have housed farm workers.

schoolhouse gate

From the village – there was even a school there – a path leads to Allermuir and Caerketton the nearest of the Pentland Hills to the city of Edinburgh.  t woods and caerketton I wanted to walk a short way up to look at the “T” woods,where as a Girl Guide, many many moons ago, I would go with my pals to light fires and cook sausages on sticks and bananas with chocolate wrapped in tin foil.  The “sausage sizzle” was quite a regular occurrence in the summer and was obviously quite a tradition.  It’s a wonder we never set the woods on fire!  The woods get their name from the T shape you see from any direction!  It’s really a cross shape, but I suppose you never see the 4th arm - unless you look down from the hill.  It was apparently planted by a laird of Mortonhall (Mortonhall House is not that far away) in the 18th century to commemorate  a member of his family who had died in battle – maybe Culloden?

south edinburgh suburbs and north Well, as I had done on the canal walk, I went up a bit at a time, climbing up past gorse bushes in full bloom with their delightful coconut smell, looking back at the unfolding view of Edinburgh, Fife and East Lothian. bass, berwick law and cockenzie I was surprised to see the Bass  Rock down off North Berwick, so prominent, though Berwick Law and the Cockenzie power station are generally quite clear.

caerketton and allermuir

On I went - just to the bend, or the next tree - hollow as it turned out. hollow tree

It looks like someone lit a fire inside it, yet still it grows - 

hill gateor to the gate…

further up the hill

until I was a good way up the hill. 

signpost

When I reached a crossroads of paths, I turned to the right  - not signposted - coming downwhich

 

was to lead me down,  with a good view over the city,t woods return

then of the woods, bridle path

past a horserider,  and eventually by the side  of Swanston House, built in 1761, and gradually back to the car park, been up there to look back up at where I had been!  I was quite proud of myself getting as far as I did, considering the dodgy hip.  Next time I’ll try and go further – maybe even to the top!

Talk again soon.

No comments: