WELCOME!


Welcome to my blog. Thanks for dropping by. Hope you'll stay and enjoy reading about where I've been and what I've been doing!

I don't mean this to be a replacement for personal emails, but it gives me the chance to put up photos and my scrapbook layouts, so I don't block up your in-boxes, or have to send the same photos and stories to everyone separately!
Thanks, and welcome, to the followers of my blog. I'm very honoured that you enjoy it. Drop me some comments from time to time! It's good to hear what you think about the posts. Come back again soon.

Thanks also to Mary of Mary's Mixes for doing all the work on the blog's heading. You are great, Mary!



Thursday 24 February 2011

Fiddler!

Been feeling very much “under the weather” these last few days!  The cough that I had nearly got rid of came back with a vengeance!  Watching Fiddler on the Roof last week I found myself coughing, trying to keep it to noisier moments, and not spoil the show for others around me.  fiddler-logo-color What a show!  It was great!  I had quite forgotten the story of Tevye and the life of  “Tradition” in the village of Anatevka!  Tevye , SLO-style, was a very worthy Topol sound-alike, trying to come to terms with changing times for his homeland.  I loved it!  Jackie, our choir conductor, played the part of Fruma Sarah, in the imagined dream sequence, where the dead wife of the butcher – who has asked Tevye for the hand of his eldest daughter – appears, to bring curses down on the forthcoming marriage, just Tevye’s way of persuading Golda his wife that their daughter should marry the tailor instead of the butcher.   She was very good indeed!

I think even despite my cold coming back I would still have shed tears at the eviction from Anatevka by the pre-revolutionist troops, and the disagreement between Tevye and his third daughter, who married out of her people, leading to him disowning her – yet finally showing the glimmer of hope for a reconciliation as the refugees left their village for their journeys to new lives.   An excellent performance, with good revues too, I saw later!!   I was pleased for them.  Just to give a little bit of background on the company, it was begun in 1897 by 30+ men and women from the south side of the city interested in singing light opera – hence its choice of name the Southern Light Opera.  The original performers would no doubt be thrilled to know their legacy lives on to this day, with such an enthusiastic group of members!

Talk again soon.

1 comment:

Dragonfly Dreams said...

Fiddler is one of my absolute favorite musicals. It has both humor and tragedy, as well as historical fact and a lesson in "traditions." I could watch the movie and the play over and over again.
I am impressed that your choir director was Fruma Sarah! The character is one scary lady with a fabulous voice!
I do hope you are on the mend soon, and you are able to start taking your walks along the river again (but do stay dry!)