WELCOME!


Welcome to my blog. Thanks for dropping by. Hope you'll stay and enjoy reading about where I've been and what I've been doing!

I don't mean this to be a replacement for personal emails, but it gives me the chance to put up photos and my scrapbook layouts, so I don't block up your in-boxes, or have to send the same photos and stories to everyone separately!
Thanks, and welcome, to the followers of my blog. I'm very honoured that you enjoy it. Drop me some comments from time to time! It's good to hear what you think about the posts. Come back again soon.

Thanks also to Mary of Mary's Mixes for doing all the work on the blog's heading. You are great, Mary!



Tuesday 17 August 2010

More photos from Doune

a great tit

 

Some birds I do know at Doune were the great tit, left,  the song thrush, below with Mary Doune, mary doune and a song thrushgripper and a chaffieand the chaffinch, a young female, left, with Gripper, as well as  other finches and siskins, all of which came to eat from the bird feeders outside the dining room.   There are other birds too that flit around by the shore.  I’m guessing there may be sandpipers and pippits among them.  They don’t stay still long enough to get a positive description of them, or they are too far away to see clearly.

The wildlife we none of us care for are the highland midges, particularly fierce tiny little biting beasties – only the female bites, they say, but who can tell which is which without a microscope!!   We all have our particular favourite midgie repellent, and this year I remembered to use one that really isn’t a midge repellent at all, but a skin softener!   So I can say that not only do I have soft skin now, but I escaped the midge bites that usually plague me with their itchiness and swelling.  bogmyrtleHowever, there is one plant that is said to keep the midges away and that is bog myrtle, left.  A few crushed sprigs  tucked behind the ears or pinned to your clothes, works pretty well.  A friend was once talking of bog myrtle to someone, years ago now, when her little son piped up and asked,” Mummy, why is it called bog-mental?”  So as bog-mental it became known, not only in her family but among my friends too.  Well, mental or not, I reckon it works!  It seemed to in Skye at any rate.

doune fri 026

When Friday came along, it was time to take stock.  Here’s my waterlily – a quarter done – sorry you can’t see the lace itself due to the forest of pins holding the threads in place.  I’ll see if I’ve made mistakes when the pins can come out!  Margaret had done a good deal more than me, but was planning to cut it off as she wasn’t happy with it.  I think she might tackle the hexagon pattern too eventually.

doune fri and on to IV 060Janet worked quite a bit of her pattern but then she had already got started before she came over from her home just across the water, on Skye. sheila lace

 

This was Sheila’s sample piece of a rather complicated Continental lace. kn sheila lace zm

 

She had taken a drawing and designed her lace herself!  For what it’s worth I think the thread is too thick.  It needs to be more delicate, but isn’t the pattern beautiful?  norma garter

 

Norma had rattled on with the wedding garter and was nearly done.  doune fri and on to IV 059

 

Joan’s was coming along well too…

…and Lisbet?    Well, she had a whole notebook of fabulous little sketches and paintings.  She should publish a book! lisbet's notebook dunkeld. bee 020

 

 

 

 

Talk again soon

No comments: