WELCOME!


Welcome to my blog. Thanks for dropping by. Hope you'll stay and enjoy reading about where I've been and what I've been doing!

I don't mean this to be a replacement for personal emails, but it gives me the chance to put up photos and my scrapbook layouts, so I don't block up your in-boxes, or have to send the same photos and stories to everyone separately!
Thanks, and welcome, to the followers of my blog. I'm very honoured that you enjoy it. Drop me some comments from time to time! It's good to hear what you think about the posts. Come back again soon.

Thanks also to Mary of Mary's Mixes for doing all the work on the blog's heading. You are great, Mary!



Sunday 16 November 2008

Lots of money

Saturday.
Well, I collected lots of money for Cancer Research over the last two and a half days - all because of my pink hair! At 6.00 last night the can was full, so further donated money went into a bag - and by 11p.m. there was £62 in the bag alone!! That's £12+ an hour - nearly 3 times what I earn in that time - or 20p a minute! 20p a minute doesn't sound so impressive so let's stick with £12 an hour!! I reckon there will be about twice that in the collecting can itself, but as it has to be opened by a Cancer Research staff member I can't say exactly what that sum might be! Karen is the one who will do the opening and counting! Hopefully she will pick up the collecting tin today and will let us know very soon what we raised!

There have been all sorts of reactions to the fluorescent pink hair! Some said it was cool, great, very nice, nice, different, strange, weird, not nice, and some just took one look and laughed, grinned, snorted, guffawed, smiled, smirked..... but all in all they were very generous, and I want to thank every single one of them! Personally I hope the colour fades quite quickly! I'm not as brave as they all seem to think I am!

Sunday

The colour has mellowed a little since I washed my hair yesterday! It's not so vivid now, thank goodness! However that's not what I was going to write about today. Yesterday I got my car back from the garage repair shop, so gears are all back in working order - and it didn't cost nearly as much as I feared! I parted with £37. I had thought it would be into three figures - garage bills usually are - so was quite happy, well, as happy as you can be when you've had a repair bill!

However I am still waiting for the plumber to come and fix my central heating boiler. It hasn't been working for about three weeks and I called on a local guy to come and fix it, but he didn't appear. Meanwhile Sally downstairs informed me of a leak coming down the wall in her bathroom below my kitchen, so I got another plumber to come along and investigate that as well as look at my boiler. He came along, looked at my boiler and told me he was really here to look at this leak! Sally was out so he couldn't see it, so he left, after saying he'd phone her the next day. Needless to say he hasn't! We've each tried to phone him with no luck! Honestly, do workmen never have these problems themselves, or do they all have friends in the various trades who come round immediately and sort the problems right away? Wouldn't they be hacked off if they were kept waiting with no idea if someone was going to do the job or not?

Well today I saw the first plumber, and reminded him that he still hadn't been to look at the boiler. I told him it was beginning to get a bit cold and I needed it fixed. The reply was a mumble I didn't quite pick up - nothing rude, I don't think! Anyway now I am sitting here typing with my fleecy jacket on, zipped up to my chin, one hand in my pocket and the other one typing - yes, I do type with only one hand, ever since that brain op in 1977, that resulted in me having to change from being left handed to right handed, due to nerve damage. I actually type pretty quickly now too, far quicker than handwriting, which I also had to learn and perfect back in the late 70s. Back to the boiler affair! I am cold! I do have the gas stove on, but it's not keeping me that warm as I sit at the computer! I think a cup of hot oxo might be on the cards!

So, I think that's about all I can tell you today!! Not terribly exciting - and I can't even show you a picture of the pink hair as I have the old problem back, in that I open a webpage (namely the page I am typing on) then I try to open the page where I can include the photo details. That page opens but doesn't load! So I try to close that page and everything freezes! I have to go to Control Alt Delete to close the page which means the other page closes too, and I have to start again! I can't think that there's not enough memory as I have 5Gb free, unlike last time when all I had were a few Mb.

OMG, am I not boring you to death now! I'm boring myself, and I think I will be chucking this PC in the river before long! I'm glad I have quite a placid nature, and haven't chucked it - yet!!!

Talk again soon.

No comments: