WELCOME!


Welcome to my blog. Thanks for dropping by. Hope you'll stay and enjoy reading about where I've been and what I've been doing!

I don't mean this to be a replacement for personal emails, but it gives me the chance to put up photos and my scrapbook layouts, so I don't block up your in-boxes, or have to send the same photos and stories to everyone separately!
Thanks, and welcome, to the followers of my blog. I'm very honoured that you enjoy it. Drop me some comments from time to time! It's good to hear what you think about the posts. Come back again soon.

Thanks also to Mary of Mary's Mixes for doing all the work on the blog's heading. You are great, Mary!



Thursday 16 October 2008

An exhibition and an invitation

From Verteuil we headed a few miles further north to meet up with Tony and Eileen, who had sold Ian his house a few years ago. The place was Barro. The event was an annual photographic exhibition with a difference. The venue was the whole of the village - in the main square, (above)
















along the lanes,








in the barns,












in the old lavoir.....



even in the church!

















Subjects ranged from travel to nature to people to effects but to be honest, there really wasn't much that took my fancy, although there were some good photos. I did like the ones of womens' shadows strategically placed so that flowers on the grass or on a bush for example were viewed as part of the subject - not that I would have bought one to display on my wall at home!!!!!

You might wonder as the exhibition is out of doors, what happens if it rains. I asked Ian, and the reply was, "They get wet!" Obviously they are printed on waterproof material of some kind, but luckily there had been no wet weather up till then.

I don't think Ian was all that impressed with what he saw either, but he is thinking of putting in some pictures himself next year. Some of his motor racing pics would look good enlarged and displayed along with the rest, and I think he should show his series of teddy bear Mulberry pictures, like the one of him climbing into a full sized shower cubicle with his towel over his shoulder. I'm hoping Ian will allow me to make a scrapbook layoutof Mulberry's antics. They are so clever and so cute!! Sorry I can't show them to you right now, but if Ian allows me to put a layout here later, you can see them then!

Eileen kindly invited us over to their house for supper, so after we had seen enough, we headed back to the car park to find Snowy again. I had to take a photo of this house we passed on the edge of the village! It was gorgeous! Nothing flash, just a simple country house! I loved it!



En route to Tony and Eileen's we passed several large wind turbines, that Ian told me had only been built recently. He said they spoiled the view of the countryside but I think aesthetically they are very beautiful! I'm not getting into discussion about the pro's and cons of these modern windmills so don't go there!!! I like this photo I took as we were driving along! It is one of those lucky good shots that I took from the moving car! The road was familiar to Ian as he had stayed with T and E for a time when he first moved over to France and was driving back and forward spending time getting his own house ready for occupation.

They themselves had done up their own place and recently Tony incorporated a pizza oven into the wall of an outhouse in their garden which Ian duly admired!

Having already met Amber the retriever, we now met the cats. Well, you know me and cats! I love them to bits, and aren't these just so gorgeous? This is MAYPOLE!


Here's ginger HARLEY (below)






and the tabby whose name has completely escaped me! Senior moment, I'm afraid!

So, while Eileen began cooking Ian and I took a walk through the village. I was quite taken aback when Ian suddenly launched into a loud, but very presentable Glasgow accent and ducked down to run alongside a five foot high wall. He turned the corner and headed for a gap in the wall through which I could now see what Ian had seen before, a very tall man, by now looking quite perplexed. As he saw Ian his face broke out into a smile. He came over and the two shook hands and hugged.

This was Hamish (from Scotland), who Ian had described as being 6 foot 14 tall! He looked all of that, as you can see from the photo I took as we bade Hamish farewell later. Ian is a good 5ft 9! First though, we were invited inside his renovated house - another I fell for - and treated to a glass of wine.


Supper at Eileen's was delicious and afterwards we chatted and were shown how to play Wii tennis and bowls - their new toy! It was with some regret we finally left for home again. CC was rather pleased to see us though. It must have been a long day for her, as it certainly was for us, but how I had enjoyed it!


Saturday morning came come round far too quickly and in the afternoon I was leaving for home - very reluctantly - a point Ian picked up early on, as we had breakfast. "You don't want to go, do you?" Was it that obvious? but yes, I go very quiet at times when I am sad or fed up. It had been a wonderful few days, and no, I didn't want to go. Wasn't ready! Could have stayed another few days happily. To change my flight would have been too big a hassle and very expensive - I only paid £10 return from Stansted to Poitiers - so leave I had to!
But there was still the morning which we spent in Confolens again, meeting up with some more of Ian's friends at the cafe in the Square, for a cup of delicious 'ot chocolat and un peu de conversation, as well as a bit of people watching.







I guess we didn't ask for the same thing as Harvey! Ours weren't piled up with cream! All too soon though, it was time to go. We ate some lunch at home, and I said my goodbyes to CC, before Snowy - and Ian - conveyed me to the airport. I told Ian just to get going back home as he was going to the bar for Lionel's celebration for getting his post office licence, but as we were early Ian suggested a drink in the cafe, which was nice. Inevitably, at last my flight was called so with big hugs we said farewell, and each began our journey home - in opposite directions.

Talk again soon.

No comments: