WELCOME!


Welcome to my blog. Thanks for dropping by. Hope you'll stay and enjoy reading about where I've been and what I've been doing!

I don't mean this to be a replacement for personal emails, but it gives me the chance to put up photos and my scrapbook layouts, so I don't block up your in-boxes, or have to send the same photos and stories to everyone separately!
Thanks, and welcome, to the followers of my blog. I'm very honoured that you enjoy it. Drop me some comments from time to time! It's good to hear what you think about the posts. Come back again soon.

Thanks also to Mary of Mary's Mixes for doing all the work on the blog's heading. You are great, Mary!



Sunday 26 October 2008

Autumn colours

Well, as you can see, I finally got the photo problem licked! I think it was because my PC didn't have enough RAM left. I deleted loads of old files and folders, and lo and behold, it worked!

ffffffffffffffffffffff

So, the autumn photos?

Next morning I decided to drive back down Loch Ness-side, turn right at the Drum onto the road to Cannich and Glen Affric, then up along by the river Affric to Beauly and back to Inverness before making my way home to Peebles, to be back before I was due to go into work!

Given time I'd have turned left at Cannich and driven to the end of the road where there's a path that continues alongside Loch Affric then through the hills. I walked it once, a good number of years ago now, staying overnight at the oh so remote and basic - if not primitive - youth hostel in the heart of the mountains, before continuing westwards, emerging from the hills at Kintail on the west coast! It was a beautiful walk, although it rained a lot, and I got blisters through wearing new boots that hadn't been worn in enough!



However on Wednesday, because I kept stopping to leap out of the car to take a photograph, time was something I really couldn't afford, having left Inverness too late in the morning. I turned right and followed the road over the river Affric and alongside it, past a roaring torrent of a waterfall, and scenery magnificent with autumn colour, as you can see.

wild rose hips
(below)






The road from Cannich is a quiet country one, wide enough for one car width comfortably, so to allow overtaking, or if you meet another car coming the other way, these passing spaces give you a place to manoeuvre!


From Beauly the route lies alongside the Moray Firth to reach Inverness, and in the distance, the Kessock Bridge that takes the A9 on its continued journey north over the Black Isle and up to the top of Scotland! When I used to visit Moira I would cross the bridge, but not this time. At Inverness it was time to turn south again, soon passing the Cairngorm mountains with their light snow caps, beyond Aviemore, and the other small villages off the main route.


If anything the colours in Perthshire were that little bit better than further north - possibly the type of trees growing! Perthshire has a lot of beech as well as the birch found in Inverness-shire. However driving the A9 there is little opportunity to take photos. Once or twice I just switched the camera on and pointed it in a general direction through the windscreen before clicking, and hoping for the best! Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't! The snowy Cairngorms one wasn't bad!

So I arrived back finally in Peebles, with twenty minutes to spare before I was due at work for the evening! Not bad going!

Talk again soon.

No comments: