WELCOME!


Welcome to my blog. Thanks for dropping by. Hope you'll stay and enjoy reading about where I've been and what I've been doing!

I don't mean this to be a replacement for personal emails, but it gives me the chance to put up photos and my scrapbook layouts, so I don't block up your in-boxes, or have to send the same photos and stories to everyone separately!
Thanks, and welcome, to the followers of my blog. I'm very honoured that you enjoy it. Drop me some comments from time to time! It's good to hear what you think about the posts. Come back again soon.

Thanks also to Mary of Mary's Mixes for doing all the work on the blog's heading. You are great, Mary!



Saturday 22 March 2008

A night out

Where does the time go? Can't believe my last blog was on Monday!
So what has been happening since then? Well, I was out for supper on Tuesday night! A couple of customers who come regularly to the shop invited me to join them for "food and drinks". It was at Julia's flat, an upstairs apartment in one of the older houses of Peebles. You get to her place through a narrow passage between buildings - what we call a close, or a pend - round to the back, and up a curly outside stair to the front door.
Once inside it was immediately obvious how arty Julia is! The whole place was delightfully "bohemian" with walls painted with brightly coloured naive flowers, mismatched furniture, Indian throws, old painted chairs... in the kitchen diner there were gorgeous old pine cupboards on the walls, shelves full of kitchen stuff and others crammed with ornaments, papier mache fish on the wall, a weirdly shaped overhead lampshade homemade from paper..... and amongst other treasures, a rubber duck - a plucked one! It was wonderful.
Three of Julia's friends were already there, Chris, Ian and Jo, and eventually Cath blew in! We'd already begun to tuck into the cheese and olives, and the bottles were open, the wine flowing! Julia was cooking something that smelled delicious in a large orange casserole, which when dished up WAS absolutely delicious - like paella but made with quinoa (keenwa), with chopped up veggies and prawns. That was followed by a very rich chocolate torte brought by Jo, and all accompanied by, and followed by, copious glasses of vino rosso and rose. They have wonderful names for wine these days, I suppose to encourage young folk to try it. It's not just Chateau this or that any more, but Laid Back Ruby, the Big Chill, etc. I can definitely recommend the Fish Eye rose!
Well, the conversation veered from the intellectually sublime to the completely bawdy ridiculous, and what a great time we had. I think I got home around 1.30 a.m. and feeling remarkably sober for the amount of wine I had consumed!

1 comment:

Mary said...

This is my SECOND attempt at leaving a comment... didn't work before.
Just wanted to say that I felt as if I was in the room at your gathering... they way you describe things in your BLOG is amazing... wish I had a 'way with words'
MARY